3/2/07

Patchwork Coin Purse Tutorial






This cute little coin purse is a great project for beginning sewers. Needed: 5 coordinating fabrics, one zipper, thread and buttons as decided.
First, cut two of each of the following fabrics. Fabric A-3 1/2" long x 3" wide, Fabric B-3 1/2"x3 1/2", Fabric C-2"x6 1/2", Fabric D-5 1/2"x6 1/2" as well as two more pieces of 5 1/2"x6 1/2" for stability. Fabric A & B are the two blocks on the bottom of the patch. Fabric C is on the top.
Next, with right sides facing each other, sew Fabrics A & B together along one 3 1/2" edge. Iron flat. With right sides facing each other, sew this piece and Fabric C together along the long edge on one side. Iron flat. Repeat for other side of purse but reverse Fabrics A & B.
Then, sandwich the stability fabric between the patchwork side and Fabric D so that right sides are facing out. Sew along all edges. Repeat for other side of purse.
Sew one side of the zipper to the upper edge of one side of the purse. (next step not shown) Fold zipper toward the wrong side of patch and iron. Then sew to create a lip. Repeat on other side. (Make sure your zipper lines up on both sides in order to close correctly).
Pin patchwork sides together, right sides facing each other and sew along three free sides. (Make sure your zipper is halfway unzipped in order to turn right side out). Turn right side out and iron.
Add buttons as desired using a small needle and thread.
Feel free to e-mail with any questions. Good luck with your fun projects!
This one goes to Kendra McCracken who was so helpful with getting this blog banner posted! Thanks, Kendra, Elsie and Amber for all of your help and encouragement with getting started.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Rachel.
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Looks like your blog is doing really well. Love all the goodies that you are sharing. Look forward to learning more about you.

Elsie Larson said...

oh cool! i am so bad at sewing, but you make it look easy! i LOVE your fabrics! :) totally in love!!!! :)

Ros said...

Love that pear fabric! I got a "mini-machine" for Valentines from the hubs. It's very basic but it's a great starting place and this really does look like a great starter project! THANKS!!

Andrea said...

after reading here yesterday i cleaned off my craft table and hauled out the sewing machine again. and now i am totally going to make this! thank you!

Anonymous said...

i might have to try this
i am sort of scared of sewing fabric
i can sew paper though!

Kendra said...

Oh I'm excited! I've been looking for a cute coin purse but everything I've found has been boring or looked like a cigarette case. Thank you Rachel!!! Cashiers all over Bolivar will also want to thank you. ; )

Michelle said...

will have to try this! i have been making the same coin purses for years...like your fresh ideas!

JB said...

OMG! I have bling on my machine too! They're little cell phone rhinestones I made into little flower shapes! You ROCK!!! And I love your fabrics! Oh man, I walked into this quilt store I'd never been in and I thought I had walked into heaven! And I saw those fruit patterns there! Recognized them immediately! One of my next projects is a sock monkey quilt...have you seen the sock monkey fabrics? It's for my sister! lol

JB said...

Hi, I tried to email ya to answer about my quilt...but it came back! :)

RachelDenbow said...

Ladies, thank you for the coin purse love! I've been enjoying the world of blogs and all of the inspiration it stirs up so I'm happy to give back.
R

Talia said...

so so cute! maybe i COULD do this...

Anonymous said...

its very cute!
i had my mom help me make one today. i love all the fabric on yours.

longnecklady said...

Keep it coming girl, they are awesome!

Sue

Unknown said...

Awesome coin purse, might have to take a stab at making it! And I have to say I just LOVE the way you put fabrics together, makes me happy.

Kara said...

what is the apple fabric? that would be perfect for some dresses that i have been dreaming up for my girls!
AWESOME work!! :D

Ros said...

Ok... here we go... This is mine It's not the smartest purse in the world but I am very proud of it as it's one of the first things that I made on my teeny tiny sewing machine... things can only get better from here right?

RachelDenbow said...

Ok, after a little searching, I found the fabric line. I had already cut off the bottom edge that has all of that info. (I stashed it away to use it in art journaling and forgot where I put it.)

Its called Apples & Pears by Alexander Henry. I've heard it was discontinued, brought back into production and now its hard to find unless you've managed to snag the remnants from JoAnne's Fabrics. Search E-Bay or Etsy.

Here's one listing I found that can get you started.

http://item.express.ebay.com/__Crafts_Alexander-Henry-APPLES-PEARS-NATURAL-PINK-1-yd_W0QQitemZ180068502530QQihZ008QQptdnZCraftsQQptdiZ1525QQcmdZExpressItem

Thanks Kara...sorry it took awhile.