8/24/07

Portfolio

I saw the movie 'Mrs. Potter' awhile ago and loved the portfolio she used to carry her illustrations in. So, I tinkered around with the idea last night and came up with this.




Its something I would use for unfinished LO storage or to transport pages with me when I work on them outside of my home.
I used the cardboard packaging from the Love, Elsie Lola papers and a sturdy 12" x 12" cardboard paper protector from a product box for the protective cover. I left about 1 1/2" of space in between the top and bottom pieces and joined them with Love, Elsie fabric paper to make a flexible joint. I cut the fold from the Love, Elsie cardboard packaging and did the same with the fabric tape. Next, I fashioned a fabric cover and added ribbon and buttons for my closure. Once I was finished, I realized it didn't have any protection from slipping out the top or bottom so I sewed on a piece of upholstery fabric that would easily safeguard the edges. It folds over the top and bottom before you cover the portfolio. I love it.
The LO inside is a work in progress but its under wraps for awhile.
Thanks for looking.

21 comments:

debbiec said...

what a fabulous idea!!!!!
now i need one too!

Funky Finds said...

awesome idea! i want!!!

Rachelle said...

love this idea rachel!

Kinsey said...

I thought the same thing when I saw that movie! Your version is *way* cuter though! BTW, you should totally add these to your etsy store. I'd buy one for sure.

RachelDenbow said...

Oh, good. I think I'll make some more!!

Cara said...

it's always something with you, you creative girl!
nice work!

Freckled Nest said...

as Cher would say, "tres cool"! love it!!
You should sell these as kits! :)
When you say "Love Elsie Fabric Tape" do you mean the fabric 12x12sheets? or is this something i've missed??

RachelDenbow said...

Yes, its the 12 x 12 sheets. I've just purchased some supplies online to start the portfolio line for Etsy.
It'll be about a week before they show up but I'm excited about a new project.

Michelle said...

Loving it. Great job. I might have to copy you and make one for myself. Cracks me up because I started watching that movie last night and I'm finishing it right now. What a weird coincidence!

Charin said...

Rachel, you are a genius. :) Love this,it's so cute!

Stephanie said...

Rachel, that is the cutest dang thing ever! Make me one and sell it on Etsy. I don't have the time to make one. You could make lots off of these girly! So stylish. Let me know if you do. Send me a link! :)

Michelle said...

I must have one of these! I've been drooling over your etsy stuff and this might be just the thing I need!

Jennifer said...

Ok, I need one toO!!
-Jp :)

Joy said...

I just adore everything about that movie. This is such a cute portfolio, Rachel, love it!

Nicole said...

What a fab I idea!!! I have LO's laying all over the place in my office - this would totally stop that! :)

Lisa said...

Lovely idea! When do you have time to do all this?

Jenna said...

so cute!

polinka said...

great idea!! Must think about making one too! :)

Marie said...

Luv it!

~~wenhether~~ said...

OMG...I love this!!!! Great colors!!!!!

Holly said...

Oooooohh...I likes! What a great idea.