2/22/10

Ruffle Bib Tutorial

Ruby is three and a half months old. This means she drools. A lot. I didn't want to go out and spend a bunch on ugly bibs with sayings like 'Daddy's Princess' on them (no offense if you're into those) so I bought one ugly bib and then used it as a pattern to make my own. Now I'm ready for the drool.

To make your own you'll need a bib (for your template), two coordinating fabrics, chenille, velcro, scissors, straight pins, and a sewing machine.

Place the bib on your chenille, trace and cut out. Cut a strip of fabric about 3" x 14" and pin the top, middle, and bottom of it to the center of your bib. Pleat your fabric evenly and stitch down the center.
Then stitch back up on both sides.

Cut out a small square of velcro and stitch it to the top of one side. Put the chenille face down onto your other fabric and pin down. Cut around your pattern. Then stitch around the edges stopping about 3" short of where you started. Unpin and turn right side out.

Iron flat and stitch around the outer edges. Stitch the other side of your Velcro piece on the back side. Then test it out to see how pretty it looks on your little one.

Simple and quick because who has time to waste when there are babies cooing at you!

xoxo,
Rachel

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever so sweet...and Ruby is a cutie too! xx

Unknown said...

That's a good-looking bib! I'm bookmarking this for my future kids. Great post!

Chelsea said...

this is so pretty! not to mention, so is ruby!

Kristin Ann said...

Thanks! This is so cute. Now I just need a baby...

jen geigley said...

love that you're using ruffles to catch the drool. so smart and so pretty!

Elizabeth Sanchez said...

i hate those bibs! esp the girl ones... like diva and all that lol but i always lose mine so i just get plain ones like white with colored trim... can't go wrong there! otherwise i'd be right with ya making super pretty ones... even though jax is a boy lol

Jari said...

so pretty! oh the bib is too! :)
xo.

mrs boo radley said...

LOVELY! I would wear this.

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Adorable - this would be fantastic for a new baby gift. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i spy amy butler fabric - love it! this is a great idea for my friend's upcoming baby shower!

Caitlin said...

you think oil cloth would work? I was just thinking maybe something even easier to clean up. I would love to make something like this for my friend who is expecting.

ashlee said...

so cute!!! i am needing to make these for my mercy and the riffle is such a cute touch!!

pamela said...

i love this! off to make some for an upcoming baby shower : )

Good Girls Studio said...

adorable! Now I need a baby to make one for!

goldlionaz said...

oh, super cute!

Elsie Larson said...

it's sooo cute!!

Megan said...

Adorable. My best friend just had a baby girl. I believe I will be making a few of these for her.

Big Yellow Dog said...

I could not agree more about not being a fan of cutesy kiddo stuff. The only 'wordy' bib we have is one that we found that said "iDrool". I've been making baby girl stuff lately for a sweet friend and I'll have to give this a try!
Margaret

Tara said...

very chic - i'm also loving these bibs found with tutorial found on mairuru's blog:

http://mairuru.blogspot.com/2010/02/how-to-make-simple-square-baby-bib.html

ruby is lucky to have such a crafty mamma.

Casey said...

adorable!! I'm going to do this for sure whenever I get a new niece!

Carrie said...

I LOVE this! Cutest bibs ever and Ruby is a doll! Also, please please please tell me where those pink bow shoes are from... My Gemma would love those. :)

Anonymous said...

She's a beauty!

OpaqueSkies said...

So cute.

Laura's Loot said...

Great idea, love the ruffle fabric. I'm going to have to do it!

Andrea said...

Cute cute cute!! Thanks for sharing!
Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com

Megan Leone Designs said...

Too Cute! Thank you for sharing! I have been looking for gifts I could make my close friend you just had a baby.

Corey said...

I'm not sure why I never thought of this! My 6 month old is the biggest drooler ever, but I never thought to make my own cute bibs! I posted photos on my blog of the ones I made: http://coreymoortgat.blogspot.com/2010/03/longest-post-ever.html

Thanks for the idea!