4/28/10

Thursdays Are For Getting Up Early


Except when they aren't.

I, however, will be rising at an hour I haven't seen in awhile to drive to a nearby town to visit a highly recommended chiropractor about this back of mine. He's kindly fitting me in since I can't swallow, cough, sneeze, or laugh too hard without feeling sharp pain between my shoulders. Really I think if I just sat in this chair with this pretty pillow it would all just go away. Maybe if I also had a coffee in my hand. And a good book.

Speaking of books, I've just finished listening to the audio book of Free Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy and loved the message of 'raising safe, self-reliant children without going nuts'. I recommend it for those who find themselves wishing they weren't so worried about every single thing that could possibly happen if they let their almost four year old play out in the unfenced backyard by himself for awhile. I DID keep the windows open so I could hear if things got quiet (read: where did he wander off to?) or if he started destroying his red wagon with his miniature shovel, etc. It's helped me put things into perspective and give Sebastian a little room to show me he's trustworthy and mature enough not to visit our neighbors' front porch without asking first.

I've just started Simplicity Parenting by Kim Payne in hopes that it'll help me hold onto those things I know are important as more demands are put on our time in the next year and beyond. If you've read either and would like to share your two cents in the comments section below, feel free. If they are relevant to you and you haven't read them you may see if your local library has a copy available.

As always, thanks for stopping by.
xoxo,
Rachel

15 comments:

She said...

I have read many a blogs about raising 'free-ranged' children. It has helped a lot. My kids are 6,5 and 3. I now live on an acre and am confident in my kids and their decision making while playing outside.

Dori the Giant said...

You just reminded me that I started reading a book a few months ago and completely forgot about it.

Jari said...

sounds like i TOTALLY need to read these! thanks so much for sharing! xoxo.

Unknown said...

love your blog, I love reading your posts :) new follower!


- Michelle
LÉS Mm

wewillvacation said...

I came across your blog this week, its the cutest little blog i've found in agges!!

Anonymous said...

My kids are a little past that stage but I understand your concern and desire. Have you ever watched this TED talk? http://www.ted.com/talks/gever_tulley_on_5_dangerous_things_for_kids.html
Watch it. It's wonderful.

PS- if you've never watched a TED talk, you're in for a treat. Take a few minutes (or hours!) to wander through the talks. My students call them nerdp*rn. Tee-hee.

Sarah M said...

I loved Free Range Parenting, and also did a book review of it for her when it first came out!

http://ssmast.blogspot.com/2009/05/book-review-free-range-kids-by-lenore.html

I have learned, though, that when sharing the information with other people, I get a surprisingly mixed emotions every time. Some people then think I am a crazy "here is my child, kidnapper" nutbag, and others nod their head in agreement.
She has a fantastic blog, too, that is updated daily if not twice-daily: http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/

Sarah M

Meg said...

that sounds like a book i need to be reading! sorry about your back issues, i know that can be awful, especially after having a baby! good luck!
xoxo~Meg

Gingiber said...

Oh, i recently threw my back out! It took 3 chiropractor visits to be able to sit up straight again!

Good luck.

corrina said...

two parenting blogs i love, that frequently help me refocus, are simple mom and steady mom.

Rachel said...

Hope you start feeling better! Excited to sponsor your blog :)

Mandy said...

Sorry for your back troubles... that stinks! Those books sound like something I could use, being the 'helicopter parent' that I am. Thanks for the recommendations!

Courtney said...

You should check out Nurtureshock. It's a new book and has some great info about parenting and children in today's society.

Amanda said...

Thank you for the recommendations on the books, I'm off to search them in our library catalog. We have the BEST libraries in San Antonio, 1 search and they check all 20-something public libraries in town and then ship the book to your library of choice!

Erin said...

I hope your back feels better!