8/7/10

Why I Will Always Love Craigslist


I found this listed on Craigslist two days ago and wrote back asking if it was still available. I got a call back and they gave me directions to the furniture warehouse and confirmed the size of it. Then I got a little skeptical. Who in their right mind would post an Ethan Allen Venetian Mirror that retails for $629.00 on Craigslist for $40.00. Was this a scam or was I just about to discover retail heaven? I got there and met one of two Jacks that worked there and he showed me the mirror. I figured it had to be badly damaged to go for that price but was surprised to see it only had two or three minor little cracks in places it wouldn't be noticeable once up on a wall.

Then I pointed out the small piece near the bottom that had a screw through it that had cracked clean in half. He acted as though he hadn't seen that. I played like it was a bummer but I knew I was still getting a monster of a deal and could glue that little guy back on and it would be no worse for wear. I don't mind home interiors with a little history. He sold it to me for $30 and said he had no idea what it retailed or. I still can't figure out if he thought he was getting the better end of the deal or not. I'd call it a win/win. And this huge thing will soon find a home in my studio always reminding me of why it pays to keep an eye on Craigslist.

xoxo,
Rachel

24 comments:

Danielle said...

AHH! Amazing! Don't you love when that happens?! Yay Craigslist <3

Dori the Giant said...

You're lucky.
I haven't been having any luck on craiglist lately. I guess it's because I always search for specific things.

Anonymous said...

Craigslist is awesome!! Love that I'm not the only one surfing it for great finds!

. said...

I am DYING right now and green with envy!!!! I've been loooking for a mirror just like that! Soooo cute!

Unknown said...

wow that is gorgeous!!! nice find rachel!

laynemarie said...

Oh, so lucky! It's beautiful. I'm forever perusing craigslist even when I'm not looking for anything in particular. Although lately I've been looking for mirrors, isn't that funny? But in my neck of the woods the amazing vintage finds are few and far between.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing find!! :)

http://littlesugarmonster.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

such a pretty mirror!

Good Girls Studio said...

*Score* Lucky find dear!

ag. said...

you have a beautiful blog!
and what a great steal...isn't craigslist the best!?

garcia.sol said...

what an awesome find! congrats!

Alex said...

That is a fantastic mirror!

Fee ist mein Name said...

I have to admit I have never heard of that special mirror, but I like it and it's such a gereat deal. I'm so sad we don't have anything similar to this here in Germany...

jackiebean said...

that's awesome! you definitely got a great deal - congrats!

my hubby and i have been selling a bunch of stuff on craigslist lately (my car included). we're purging bc of a huge cross-country move we're doing. i can't wait until after the move so i can *buy* cute stuff from craigslist for my new place. :)

Amber said...

Wow...that mirror is beautiful! Great score. I need to start looking on Craigslist more!!
XOXO

Gussy Sews said...

looks like a score to me! :)

Jess (hellowifeonline.com) said...

What a great find! I basically leave the Craigslist "free" listings open on a tab at all times. :)

angela said...

Wow, that is a fabulous find.
I keep hearing stories on the news about Craiglist scams, but they're all in the region where I live. What's up with that..? I live in North Dakota for goodness' sake. I'm glad that worked out though; what a great deal!!

Joyti said...

Wow, thats an amazing story...great find! I'm sure you'll enjoy that lovely mirror even more considering what a great deal you got on it.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brianna! said...

awe this is SO gorgeous!
I love it!
xoxo
bB

Amy said...

I think I can your questions. Iused to work for a high end store/design studio. Here are a couple of senarios:
#1: the mirror was broken by the manufacterer and EA was given a credit and told to disgard the mirror.
#2: the mirror was damaged in store and written off completely.

for both #1 & #2, retailers will typically have "dock auctions" for their employees and use the $ for charity donations or to recover costs of written-off items.

I once got a $1100 lamp for $59. (the shade was missing, which I later found on the wrong lamp!)
If the items are discontinued, like lamps, they can'tget replacement shades so they do this instead.

The 3rd option was that he stole it. they say that 90% of reatil thefts are in-house. so sad!

But I think it was #1 or #2 for your mirror! ;)

Deanne said...

what a fab fab find, i live in the uk but down the road from me is a little shop called nannas attic, i love routing through there for goodies :)

Michelle Clement said...

Omg - what a rad find!! :) And for such a steal! I have the worst craigslists luck...lol...perhaps because I don't drive? It's super-limiting - but I have high hopes one day that I'll be as lucky as you. :)