1/23/11

Losing The Battle One Cheerio At A Time

Patterns
This weekend is drill weekend which means Brett is gone most of the day both days. While this kind of thing used to make me crazy when sandwiched between two regular weeks of his old schedule, it's not been that bad. I'm thankful for moments of self-entertainment when my kids decide to sit on the floor next to each other and play with transformers and every time one of them brings me a book they want me to read.


That's not to say that I don't let a little extra video time happen so I can sweep the floor from every bowl of cheerios that gets dumped from Ruby's perch. No matter how few I put in her bowl, it gets knocked over and those little cheerios spread out as far as they can and hide in the corners I can't easily reach and then little feet run over them and they spread even more until I may as well just call it a cheerio rug. Thank heavens for wooden floors. And Elmo.

Wishful Thinking
I did manage to get our old curtains hung in our living room and two more sets of rods screwed in last night after dinner. I've got the perfect vintage muslin sheet (shown above in yellow) for the kids' room that I'm going to make work even though I could really use another one in the same condition. I've been fretting over curtains since we moved in and have completely different sized windows to cover but it's looking hopeful!

How has your weekend been so far? Raise your hand if you needed a little extra coffee this morning...

xoxo,
Rachel

p.s. All photos using Hipstamatic on my phone.

19 comments:

Jenni Austria Germany said...

i dont know about extra coffee...but i'll take some extra hot chocolate :)

Anna said...

Oh yes I remember the cheerio days well. We have a dyson vacuum cleaner with a see through chamber (do you have those in the US - am sure you do!?) and I remember when my kids were toddlers it was *always* full up with cheerios! Almost like a work of art.

Katia said...

high fives for the hipstamatic! I use it all the time on my phone too, has the coolest effects!

Teena said...

Yes...I definitely needed more coffee today! Where is that rocker from in your pic? I love it!

Danielle said...

oh my gosh...you are like super-mum seriously! I would just have two pyjama days in a row...eat junk food and make a huge mess!

Hands up for coffee!!!

xxx

Gingiber said...

Oh Rachel, that must be so tough when if is just you and the kiddos! I needed coffee, but am actually just now having my first cup of the day at 2 PM! My illness has thrown my game off!

Ali Winter said...

Got to say...I really love reading your blog. As a mom with little ones, I so relate to all of this. My husband is on the go a lot too and I find myself doing the same things with just me and the kids. My 16 month old is always throwing food all over my floor!!!

Anyways, thanks for all the inspiration to be so crafty!

Danavee said...

When my mister has drill weekends, I try to pack it full of all things girly......movies, shopping, crafting, thrifting.....

And you can never have too much coffee!

Allison said...

I totally needed more coffee than usual this morning! I also need some extra knitting time this afternoon to cool down and relax...

Unknown said...

it's 12pm and I'm STILL drinking coffee.

Deliciously Yours said...

Went to make my much needed coffee this morning, only to discover after i opened the bag that I had bought decaf. Why do they always write the "decaf" so small?!? Grrrr

Ashley said...

ha they are TOOOOO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Get one of these things for the Cheerios, they are great! http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Snack-Catchers-Colors-Vary/dp/B000GB0NZK Now we don't have goldfish crackers all over the floor (unless Vada decides she just wants to take them all out one by one...)vThey sell them at Target near the sippy cups :)

The anxious mother said...

Love your blog! So excited to be a follower! Your kids are so presh. I needed coffee all day! I also needed kleenex tonight.

Stop by!

keepcalmandcarryonblog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I totally understand! I am still pulling Cheerios out of /behind/under all of the seats in my car and we are past the cheerio stage by a year or two!

Miss Kelley said...

My grandma always said "Never have a baby without a dog" just for that reason! All those cheerios will be gone in no time! :)

Aurora said...

My husband is in the National Guard and has drill weekends. They used to drive me crazy and make me angry, but now I love having an entire weekend with my kids to do whatever we want to do! And lately that has been thrifting! Now I'm finally used to drill weekends...

Unknown said...

Oh domestic bliss. Yes I too feel like cleaner woman sometimes. Deep healing breathes;)

Stephanie said...

sometimes i feel a little blue about having elmo watch my kids so i can clean their messes... and then i hear about some other wonderful mother doing it too... and somehow my mom guilt fades a little. thanks :)