10/4/07

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10...

A few LO's I've done way ahead of schedule for the Love, Elsie DT. I couldn't resist playing with the Noel line.
I've never even looked twice at a Christmas collection because they feel really dated and restrictive. Or maybe just boring. This line takes traditional and throws it out the window. I know you all will love it just as much.



I made this mini with leftover chipboard from portfolios. I covered each page with the paper and then bound it all with the adhesive fabric paper. I used some of the chipboard frames as pages but left room for upcoming Christmas pics. This was one of those projects that merited staying up past midnight and then getting back to first thing the next morning after feeding the boy. It's trouble! Check out the new flickr feed on the right to see the whole thing.

I've managed to finally finish a few projects but the new ones just keep coming. I wrapped up the last journals to send to this lady. More on that later. I'm finalizing plans for the next few kits which are going to hold a surprise or two. Elsie is designing the Oct. Project Kit for RVKC! I've booked another queen size quilt commission which should be done by the end of the month. I've got some beautiful curtains to design and line for a very special girl. I've got a few small sewing projects to start on for friends. I've got leather to turn into more journals to sell on Etsy.

It's really a happy burden to be busy making things. I would rather be swamped with sewing and scrapping than anything else! It becomes a struggle to keep the rhythm and balance that creates a healthy lifestyle but I think you all can attest to that struggle no matter what your life is filled with.

Brett and I have taken on a few challenges together recently. The first is what he generously posted about yesterday. We're trying to practice the 'Not Buying It' lifestyle. Yes, we do have some 'trying to make it work in Seattle with a new baby and grad school and not a better job prospect in sight' debt but we are not just trying to save money. We are trying to learn to consume less. We'll share our story along the way.

The second challenge has been to take on some responsibility in adding more creative elements to our new church. We're using the enriching experiences we had here to aid in everyone's experience here. Really, we're just adding to the creative ideas coming out of Joe Green's head but we're excited either way.

Sebastian is learning new signs every week. His latest include 'car', 'Daddy', 'Mommy', 'Big Papi', and 'Uncle Joe'. He's learning to play hide and seek and loves to stick his little fingers into any open door that is about to close. My sister-in-law is moving to Haiti in a few days to help dig water wells and be of all kinds of assistance to others serving there. Emma is moving to Hollywood. I'll get to visit the RV sisters in a few weeks because of that!

Thanks for reading. I hope you catch some time amongst the busy burdens this week to make something pretty.
Rachel

21 comments:

JB said...

oh, that is so my kind of christmas stuff! that's why i fell in love with karen foster's christmas line a few years ago, funky cool stuff. not the norm. so this is just up my alley!

and way to go with the whole not buying stuff. we implemented something similar but more along the lines of less fast food. we slip up occasionally, but overall we're doing pretty well. so good luck!

and those pages are DARLING!!!

cara harjes said...

good heavens girlfriend your life is FULL! but with such lovely things. enjoy enjoy!

xoxox
cara

Michelle said...

Wow you have a lot going on! Its a wonderful feeling to be so productive. I adore your new album and lo. You have such a fun style! Hope you have a great time with the RV girls.

Natalie said...

Cute little mini! Love love love!

Charin Adams said...

I really love that christmas line :) Yummy.
And I completely hear you about being so crazy busy! There are so many goals in different areas of my life that I'm working on, it gets a little overwhelming sometimes. But it's all good. :)

Lauren Z said...

I just LOVE that Noel Line! Very Hip and fresh. When will it be available?

Do you live in Seattle or Fresno?? I am a bit confused :)

I hope that all your projects continue to go well- they are a joy to see :)

RachelDenbow said...

Currently Fresno. We lived in Seattle this time last year.
Noel and Zoe should be available at the end of the month from what I hear.
Thanks!

Amber Ulmer said...

ok... first... gorg layout and mini... LOVE it... 2... Go you and brett!! Josh and I are in a similar boat and it sure is tough... but you guys can do it. If you ever wanna vent about the "not spending" lifestyle... you got me girl!xoxo

Holly said...

Sounds like you are up to all kinds of crafty good*ness! LOVE that mini...can't wait for the Noel line to hit stores. I'm buying ALL of it! LOL. And, good luck on cutting back on the spending. I finally got ALL of our debt paid off, and it is such a good feeling. You can do it! ;0)

Holly said...

Hey Rachel...I have a question. My mom was just admiring my love bird pillows, and was asking me if you made any that were Christmas ornament sized. I told her not that I saw. But, would you be willing to make a set that I could buy for her as a gift? Maybe with a piece of ribbon sewn into the top to hang from the tree? Could you let me know? Thanks so, so much!

Vee said...

so much cuteness, lvoe it! :)

Unknown said...

I love them love love love them!!! You are a busy lady! I need to not buy stuff for sure lol!

Malin said...

Love all the lovely stuff you create!!!
Soo amazing!!!

Silje Røe Hagland said...

"This line takes traditional and throws it out the window."
I couldnt agree more! Im so excited to get my hands on that collection! :)

Have a fun weekend!

Christina C. said...

Okay, I Love that minibook. particularly the page with the chipboard "window"

love being inundated with crafty goodness. good luck on all your projects.

Michelle said...

Oh, girl..love how you used the outside of the chipboard frame as part of the book...so cool! =) Love your blog!

Lizee said...

u and elsie make xmas so funky and fun!:)

Cathy De Los Santos said...

I always love your stuff, and good luck with the "Not buying it" lifestyle, I should give that one a try. My best bet will always be just not to go to any stores, then I can't buy anything (and ignore the stores online as well).

stephanie said...

i love the chipboard album!! so cute!

Cammeron said...

this little book is so adorable

Nessa said...

wawwwwwwwww everything is very beautiful on your blog!!! love everything!!!!!! you rock rachel