9/3/08

Get 'Er Done!

My motto for the week.

I've collected these frames and art pieces for a few months now in anticipation of a place to finally hang them but it took my until yesterday to get over my 'holes in the wall' fear and cozy this place up. My first project was painting the frame on this corkboard I scored at a yard sale last month. The shelf below is a shade darker and used to hang under my inspiration board in my old studio in Oklahoma. The chair and table were thrifted in California. Bear with me on the descriptions. It's going to get annoying.
This collection is right above Sebastian's toddler bed. I made the three painted canvases during our RVA weekend in March. As you can see, the majority of them need some work or some art in them. I used the title of a childrens' book 'Cowboys and Indians' for one frame and think I might let Sebastian paint the square canvas using the same matching colors.
The blue on blue woodgrain canvas is still a work in progress, too. I started it back in April so I'm not sure I can still match the right color.
We rearranged the living room three or four times on Monday but finally found a layout that feels good and gives us more space to move around. With the furniture in place, I felt like I could finally hang this grouping of frames. Every one of them is thrifted. I thought about painting them all the same color but decided I liked the wood tones and the little pops of color with the green and teal frames. I have a few Ashley G prints (one is waiting on a screw), a print from The Peach Pit, as well as a print from Pretty Little Thieves. I've got another one for a different wall that I absolutely LOVE from Michele Maule.
This is looking from our front door through the living room and into the formal dining room/studio. If you look closely, you can see one of the many stacks of Priority Mail boxes hiding behind the table! I cut scallops from vintage wood grain contact paper to add some whimsy. I love it. (It made me start thinking what a wall in someone's home would look like as a giant scrapbook page or art journal.)
Its been raining here all day so the lighting for these pics is dim. I'm hoping to get some better shots later this week. We're finishing up kit packing tonight and tomorrow and looking forward to our first art walk this Friday. AND then...the second online art journal class starts!

Thanks for stopping by!
~Rachel

15 comments:

Charin Adams said...

It looks so good!! :) :)

dani said...

I can't get over the scallops - that is just an amazing idea.

danijohnston.typepad.com/dj

katielicht said...

everything looks so good! I feel like everytime I try to make a grouping of frames it looks off somehow. . . so i love the composition you have going in your living room, it works so well.

Mandi Johnson said...

it's lookin good!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
So I'm taking your next art journal class, I'm pretty excited. Holly Neufeld was a big encourager. Just wanted to "introduce" myself.

jen geigley said...

wow - I am absolutely in love with your house and your collections of wall art are PERFECT. I love Sebastian's wall the best, I think. :)

Mandy Ford Art & Illustration said...

Your home is looking so cute! Love the wall collages and the scalloped contact paper above the doorway is adorable! :)

Genevieve said...

Looks awesome, it's really coming together (isn't it fun when that srats to happen? Past the empty/boxes everywhere/chaotic stage and into the making-it-home stage...)

OpaqueSkies said...

very sweet and cozy.

dainjb said...

so lovely! motivates me to get moving on my own home, since it's sort of still in shambles.

Maria InĂªs said...

May I envy your place? ;)

Lisa Leonard said...

it's so beautiful, warm and unique. you have an amazing eye.

Candice P.J. said...

LOVE your frames! I'm so stealing your idea for my house! Thanks for sharing! (lots of !!! in this comment!)

Alicia said...

Love the little snippets! I so totally 'get' the holes in the wall thing...I've been in my place a year and JUST finished hanging stuff on the walls! I'm not so afraid of making the holes, just afraid that I'll make the holes, then not like where I've hung the stuff, then have to make more holes, all of which I will someday have to carefully cover up (such a vicious cycle!)

Kimberly Scott said...

oh *sigh* im always inspired here:) thanks lovely!