12/1/10

Home For The Holidays: Emma Chapman's Sweet Treat

Holiday Feature on Smile And Wave
Hey everyone, it's Emma. I wanted to share a little holiday treat
recipe that I love to make! Be sure you have some family members or
coworkers to pawn these off on because they are HIGHLY addictive.
These little peanut butter truffles (sometimes called, Buckeyes) are
bite sized, so they are perfect for a holiday party or you can wrap
them up and put them in a little one's stocking.

Photobucket
Here is what you will need to make these little yummies: 1 ounce cream
cheese (softened), 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter, 1/2 cup graham
cracker crumbs, 1 1/2 cups powder sugar, 5 tablespoons unsalted
butter, 6 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate and 1 tablespoon
vegetable oil.

Photobucket
In a mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, cream cheese, graham cracker
crumbs and melted butter. Stir until smooth, then stir in powdered
sugar until batter turns to a dough consistency. Form small (2-3
tablespoons) balls and place on wax paper. Put balls in the freezer
while making the coating.

To make the chocolate coating, melt together chocolate and vegetable
oil. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, coat
in oil. Melt on high for 30 seconds, stir, then melt for another 30
seconds and stir then it should be smooth. Let the chocolate cool for
4-5 minutes. Now using a long skewer or fork, dip the peanut butter
balls in chocolate so it is mostly coated, put them back on the wax
paper. Once you have dipped them all, refrigerate or freeze them for
5-10 minutes until the chocolate is set.

Photobucket
If you use them as stocking stuffers then, wrap them in plastic wrap
and tie them up with a ribbon, or twine or a twistie tie:)

Photobucket
That's it. Serve with milk, trust me:) And just so you know these were
inspired by a recipe from smittenkitchen.com. xo. Emma

Every time I read Emma's blog I get hungry. I just visited to grab her blog URL and suddenly need to eat something sweet and salty at the same time. This girl is not just a pretty face, ya'll. She's quite the reader, really good at hosting parties, makes me laugh with her dry humor, and the only Twilight ally I have among the lovely people that work in store at Red Velvet. Emma, us vampire love story lovers have to stick together! ;)

I could gush about her for another two paragraphs but you should probably just go read her blog and tell her how hungry you are. Thanks, Emma!

Be sure to check in regularly this week and next for more 'Home for the Holidays' inspiration.

Photobucket

Grab This Button


xoxo,
Rachel

20 comments:

tammy said...

I've lived in Ohio almost my whole life. These are about the most popular treat/candy here! I didn't even know there was a name for them *other* then Buckeyes!

Amber said...

I lived the first 16 years of my life in Ohio and I miss these! I haven't had them in so long and I keep telling my husband I need to make them and I never have.

lauren ♥ said...

i can totally make these vegan (earth balance instead of butter), and they look delicious! thanks emma! <3

Jessa said...

Thanks for this great recipe! My boyfriend is completely in love with peanut butter, so you know I'll be making some of these to share with him :)

Allison said...

These posts are so fantastic! I only have a few weeks in my own house before I head home to visit family in CA (I'm a student in Chicago), but I'm making the most of it with my little decorations and cooking adventures. Thanks for being an inspiration :)

MargaretB said...

YUM! My aunt always makes buckeyes for our Christmas dinner!

caitlin said...

oh my gosh, my mom used to make these--SO GOOD. i might have to add them to the list of christmas cookie/treats to make this year :)

chelsea lee said...

peanut butter and chocolate...it really doesn't get much better!! thanks for sharing!!

Stephanie said...

I am DEFINITELY going to try making these! Very cool:)

www.maydae.com

bohomamasoul said...

So I'd like to think that I'm going to make these for my loved ones, and put them in handmade, pretty little crafted Christmas boxes. But that would be a lie; I know we will eat them all, just the three of us. It would be the four of us, but the baby isn't here yet (any day now!) I must admit, I'm kinda glad I don't have to share with a fourth person yet :) These look AMAZING.

jen geigley said...

dang, those look GOOD!!!

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

I'm an Ohio girl and buckeyes are one of my absolute favorite treats! I haven't had them in ages, but might need to whip up a batch. Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

I love reading her blog too. I've put it on my list, I must try one her recipes and I think this might be the winner. :)

**I have been loving your home for the holiday posts.

Jessica said...

those look reallllly good.

sarah bear said...

my grammie makes these every year! they are fantastic :)

morgandkim said...

oooo. so so yummy..
thanks

Stephanie said...

I made some and posted a photo! They are soooooooo good:)

http://www.maydae.com/fashion/massive-free-shipping-wonderfulness/

Bekka said...

This has ingredients my mom never used. I love a new spin on an old favorite! :)

Anonymous said...

Rachel - I'm loving this series and think that series banner with the pink trees is just the cutest!

meg duerksen said...

i love these!!!
my mom always made them and i do now.
my favorite is to freeze them. then eat them about five minutes after they start to thaw! mmmmmm.
so good.

AND rachel....i am sorry i never responded to the christmas posting email. ask me again sometime. :)
honored.