1/13/11

On Being Domestic

For a Boy and a Girl
This week I've been creating a little mood board for my blog makeover, finishing up a fun two-in-one DIY guest post for a friend, organizing my studio, researching fabrics for a pair of baby quilts for a certain expectant cousin (twins!), making a list for a care package, addressing boxes for friends, attacking the in box, scheduling blog interviews, and setting my kitchen on fire.

I cooked my mom's chicken and rice recipe tonight and it was the best I've ever done despite the flames shooting from one of the burners that I accidentally turned on instead of the oven! It had a cookie sheet sitting on top of it that probably didn't help things. Thankfully, after a lot of smoke, me panicking and running back and forth looking for my phone and wondering what to do first, and Ruby following me around wondering what was wrong, the flames died down and the open windows helped with the smoke.

Sebastian thought it was exciting but I was completely shaken up and have decided we need to make sure we pick up a little fire extinguisher to keep in a closet just in case. I blame it on having a new oven and being a little careless. You can bet we won't be having the same problem again.

I hope your weekend is a little less exciting than that!

xoxo,
Rachel

11 comments:

Vianey said...

I am sorry about the little fire :( I am just glad you guys are okay. Hey..I am curious...a care package? where do you drop it off? I would like to make one too.

Rebekah said...

oh my gosh so scary..my husband did that a few weeks ago, he started heating oil in our popcorn maker on the stove and then went to answer the door...my four year old was standing in the kitchen watching huge flames and in shock! hm, thanks for the reminder to pick up an extinguisher too ;)! looking forward to seeing how you restyle your blog you have the best taste!

Alicia said...

I have a tendency to turn on the wrong burner, even after looking right at the diagram on the dial and honestly trying to turn on the correct one..I almost ruined a great teapot that way!

For $20 at Costco, I found a two pack of fire extinguishers. They are the perfect size to keep in two different areas of a not so large home. I put one in my kitchen and one between the bedrooms.

Tracie said...

Right after we moved into our first house we set a tool box on fire! It had been sitting on top of the burners and we accidentally turned on the burner. It was awful and destroyed the brand new blinds we had just hung. I was so grateful that it didn't do more damage, but we also ran out and bought a fire extinguisher. Glad you all are okay.

Amanda said...

What a list! I've never set anything on fire but then again I'm not much of a cook. Good thing you are a quick thinker! How how how how do you get so much accomplished? It's amazing. :)

Lo said...

I completely understand oven troubles. I moved into a new apartment with a gas stove, and am still getting used to how hot it gets. I was all ambitious about baking these almond flour vanilla lemon cupcakes, which would have tasted amazing if they hadn't burned in less than 10 minutes! ugh.

Allyson said...

very scary! The first time I ever babysat alone I had a similar accident. Except that I had thrown a towel over the gas stove, turned around to feed the kids, and the two year old started crying because the huge flame scared her. Glad everything turned out alright!

Gussy said...

aww. i saw your tweets about that last night -- is it OK to giggle over that now? ;]

Baily Jones said...

I lost everything in a fire last April. Not fun! Good thing everything was ok. Always be careful ;)

pickingwildflowersblog.blogspot.com

Amy said...

Eek! I started a fire like that once in college. Silly forgetfulness.

Amy said...

Sorry to hear about that! It happens to everyone at least once in life! Smart thinking about the fire extinguisher too! I need to get a new one - my has expired! Do you have a safe? I requested one for my birthday 10 years ago from my parnets.