6/9/09

Where Have I Been?

Well, it was a busy, busy weekend!

I finally finished the binding on our memorial quilt. I'm not a traditional binder-er because I like to get things done soon after I've started them. Ana from Rearranged Design did a little interview about it if you're interested in the story. I'm really happy with how it turned out and have had it hanging around the living room all week.

photo by Will Vastine

I co-hosted the RVA Art Walk party with this fun girl. As you can see we take our roles at RVA very seriously.


I ate a lot more of this stuff! I ended up ditching the buy it by the slice method and had Brett bring home a big melon. I cut it in half and used a mini scoop to dig out little watermelon balls for easy snacking all week long. But they probably won't last that long.


This beauty was a snag at my favorite flea market, S.T.D. (I know, I know). Elsie and I took 'Margot from N.Y.' and her sister, Rachel, to browse the aisles this weekend while they were in town and this one had my name written all over it. Except really it's just going to my MIL's Etsy shop sometime soon. I'm really picky about which quilts stay at my house but I can't resist a great one in good shape when it comes to finding it a new home.

I'm not sure why I don't have ANY photos of Margot and Rachel's visit so I stole one from Margot's flickr stream. Margot is moving here, btw. Just kidding, she's not, just kidding, she's got a lease for the house next door, just kidding, just kidding. Just kidding. (Margot, you're the funniest!)


Sebastian, Brett and I also managed to go swimming at my SIL's pool, went to a Springfield Cardinals baseball game, had a pizza picnic in the park with our Shatto friends, hit up the farmer's market, and snagged one fabulous mid-century sideboard off of Craigslist.org. The previous owners were going to burn it if no one wanted it.

While that may sound ridiculous to anyone who knows anything about mid-century furniture and that this is a Brasilia piece by Broyhill circa 1960's (don't I sound educated), I can see how something from your parents' house that is now taking up too much space in your garage can make itself into a nuisance. Plus they lived in the country and you know how people in the country like to burn stuff. I would. Thankfully we managed to free it from it's prison on Farm Road 176 and have found it a nice place in our living room. I've been searching for a vintage sideboard for months now and feel so lucky to have this one in our possession.


Our midwife is coming Wednesday afternoon for our monthly check up. We'll hear the heart beat, she'll check my food log, ask me lots of questions and measure things. I'll finally be able to tell her I'm feeling the baby move! These last two days I've felt the gentlest nudges from inside and while they aren't strong and regular, it has put to rest those small worries that were creeping in after the first trimester signs stopped.

I broke down and called the ultrasound place to see if they could let me come in a week early but they were booked solid so unless someone cancels, I'm going to have to be a patient girl.

It's officially Wednesday now. I should go to bed. We've got the windows open and it's raining outside. No tornado sirens tonight please!

~Rachel

25 comments:

suzy said...

Your sideboard is so pretty and the quilt you found is so special. I don't think you should part with it. It's too good a find and so lovely.
I love quilts too. I am running out of arms of chairs to throw one over, or beds to put them upon. There is something so comforting about them. All that puckered goodness.
x

Amy T Schubert said...

oh my goodness, your sideboard is GORGEOUS. ...

I love mid-century anything....

I just need to figure out where to find goodies like that out here in L.A.

alittlebitofscrap said...

The quilt you finished, Sweet! and very pretty :)

Jenn Grigoryev (jenn of all trades) said...

the sideboard is amazing. why oh why does craigslist have to suck where i live? you never see anything this good in tampa.

and the quilt you made...aahh...it's wonderful.

Christen E. Krumm said...

Oooh I hated waiting until the ultrasound... I got mine yesterday! Exciting stuff!! :) I have a tiny dancer (girl)... my husband is on air

Unknown said...

I've been to STD before, and scored the greatest vintage fiesta teapot (I'm a fiesta collector)! Wish I was closer to go back!!!

margot said...

you are the best :-)
just kiddin' you're not, just kidding you totally are!!! i'm so happy to have met you!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

whoa...can we say "find of the century"??!

audrey neal said...

Rachel -- I love the fabrics you used in your quilt. They are *JUST* what I've been looking for -- do you mind sharing with me what fabrics/lines they are? Thank you so much!!!

audrey neal said...

Just saw the answer in the interview -- thanks!

Katherine said...

that sideboard is a great find!
your memorial quilt is beautiful and so special. I hear you on only wanting to keep things in the house that either you a.) really love, or b.) have a special meaning. job well done, rachel!

mrs boo radley said...

Glad you got to enjoy some watermelon to the very last bite. Fabulous sideboard and quilts.

Ashley said...

The comment about people who live in the country like to burn things...cracked me up and is so very true. We feel like we are in the country and I sure do like burning things in the backyard...but never something so beautiful as that sideboard. What a find!

Anonymous said...

Something's Hiding in Here moustaches! Awesome!

Leslie said...

I love your sideboard too! Also, where did you get the lamp on it? I need one for my craft area!

RachelDenbow said...

Lamp came from a flea market. It looks like it used to belong in a dentist's office.

Thanks!

Ashley Erin said...

you are so creative and inspiring! i could spend all day smiling at your blog! thanks! its awesome - keep it up

Anne Esquibel said...

Ooooh watermelon sounds delicious!!

xx

Mandi Johnson said...

ummm TOTALLY jealous of your sideboard! Man.

Big Yellow Dog said...

That sideboard is BEAUTIFUL and in really great condition. The dark wood is perfect. I'm a little jealous!

Andrew said...

wow wow wow. that sideboard is crazy amazing. can't believe they were going to burn it! great find!

The Little Misses said...

OH my goodness, that quilt you made is amazing. Do you ever sell them? I LOVE quilts !

Melissa Mann said...

The sideboard is beautiful as is the quilt!

Hope you and your family have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I wish I knew how to make one. And the colors captures the story behind it so well.
Good luck on your ultrasound!

Amanda said...

That quilt is just gorgeous! Love the colors you chose. :)
I wanted to let you know that I'm passing along the Lovely Blog Award to you! You can stop by my blog to "pick it up"!