3/24/11

Making Time for Crafts

Making Flowers
The kids and I had an afternoon to kill at home while Brett studied for a test earlier this week. We'd already gone for a wagon ride through the neighborhood, jumped on our neighbor's trampoline, read some books, made a mess at lunch time, and watched Pink Panther on Netflix.

Crafting Together
I decided it was time to introduce Ruby to the joys of water colors. Sebastian isn't always up for crafting when I suggest a new project but he's always up for painting with water colors. He spent a good ten minutes working on his project this time, which is a good eight minutes longer than he used to. That made me happy.

Getting The Hang of It
Ruby took to that paint set like it was an old hobby of hers. I did catch her trying to drink the dirty water, sucking the water off the brush, stealing her brother's paint brush, and painting on my arm but she lasted as long as Sebastian and ended up getting some color on her paper coffee filter.

Making Flowers

Making Flowers
When we were through I had to wrestle it away for a pic. It was headed for her mouth. I may save it forever.

She Wanted to Chew on It
Sebastian ended up with a stained glass effect which I thought was interesting. I wonder what this type of painting is supposed to tell me about my child.

His Stained Glass Flower
We got the popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners out of the craft box and made flowers out of the paper coffee filters. I have about a bajillion more from a garage sale that may turn into a garland one of these days.

Done
I need to remember to sit down with the paint sets more often. Ruby is much more interested in coloring than Sebastian ever was (or still is) at her age so it's been fun to encourage that in her. I never had to worry about marks on the walls with Sebastian, though. Thank goodness for Magic Erasers.

Sebastian was so proud of his paper flower when he was done. It was a nice little break from sword fights, couch jumping, karate chops, and crashing block towers.

xoxo,
Rachel

28 comments:

♥ Carrie Shan said...

Oh my goodness! Those pictures of Ruby painting are the cutest! That is too precious!

Unknown said...

I am so going to try this with my niece. She just turned three and I always feel like she is a bit bored when she visits us.

Jordan said...

This made me want to go find a plastic watercolor set to play with myself. I forgot about that joy from childhood. Your kids are so cute!

Jan Halvarson said...

so adorable.

Catherine said...

So cute! I'm sure your kids are glad you took the time to break out the paints and now you have some pretty flowers. I love doing crafts with our budding artist. We do them all the time. I'm always looking for a new fun project to keep it interesting. :)

Corey said...

I'm experiencing the same thing- my 19 m.o. daughter is much more interested in coloring than either of my older boys were. Being an artist myself, I've tried so hard to encourage it, so I'm hoping she'll be my little artist!

Hadassah said...

I was charmed by your blog, your style is very cute. I will return often to visit you.

Zoe said...

So cute, i just started to get my litte girl to paint (15months old) she loves it, i also had a few hairy moments where she tried to eat the paint brush :)
But her little picture are just pricless.

Zoe x

http://blessedbeeapothecary.blogspot.com/

Caitlin Steeves said...

Great to have an activity that they both enjoy!

Jenny Petricek said...

Love your pics of the kids as they explore their artistic side! I, too, enjoy doing crafts with my 8-year-old stepson, who discovered earlier this year that he enjoys creating cute scrapbooks and collages right along with me. I wish my mom would have been a bit more crafty...perhaps I would've realized my own artful leanings at a much earlier age!

Hannah said...

So cute! Sebastian looks so proud and Ruby painting just looks the cutest!

Jen said...

Oh, how fun! I love the flower idea!
My 3-yr-old got a paint set for Christmas and I am ashamed that we haven't even cracked it open yet.
Must do that next week!

Heidi-and-Seek said...

Aw! So fun, I love that you created them into flowers, that's a great idea!

Jessi said...

Magic Erasers are life savers! it has saved my walls so many times

elycia said...

i love the way you photograph the little moments :) so lovely.

RachelDenbow said...

Thanks, Elycia!

Also, I think I need like four paint sets on hand because these two are going to use em up fast!

Anonymous said...

So cute! And, you are very brave with the paints and the lovely tablecloth underneath!

Cherie@Accessoire said...

Really enjoy this time and it looks like you are~~my son used to love playdoh (yuck!!), but we made alot of fun stuff with that and clay! I love to do watercolors with kids, I once laid out a huge sheet and had the kids step in a paint pallette I set up and they made a great piece of "art" with their feet.

We did that one outside with hose handy.

Your children are simply beautiful!

Cherie

Unknown said...

I love Ruby's expression.Priceless. She is about to "take you down" Rachel! You better give her that flower back quick, lol! ;)
Px

RachelDenbow said...

Speckles,

It's vinyl and one of my favorite thrifted finds to date! It doesn't get much better than pretty AND practical in my book!

Teena said...

Fun! We love doing watercolors around here. Try the Waldorf Wet technique next time. The pictures come out amazing!

suzy said...

You are in luck Rachel! I can tell you exactly what Sabastian's painting means.....
He is very happy, content and stable.
My little boy is Autistic and has his paintings (when he can do one) evaluated all the time.
Elton's favourite colour is black (a favourite for most Autistic children) but he has started introducing colours into his work.
Sabastian is painting over his entire paper. Elton used to put his drawings in the center of the page. Starting from the bottom means he is happy and he has a stable environment around him.
I used to think that play was play and craft was craft....there is much more to this then I realised.
xxx

Unknown said...

That is SOOO cute! Ruby is a doll. Can't wait for my newborn to grow up and be able to play with her big sister. I think they'll be as far apart in years as Ruby and Sebastian.

Unknown said...

S looks so proud! and R is like 'excuse me, that's mine!'. Adorable and awesome...

Mel said...

So much fun! Just had to comment today on how GROWN Sebastian is starting to look....and I too love the look on Ruby's face in the picture where you took her masterpiece. You have 2 beautiful kiddos Rachel...but I'm sure you already know how blessed you are:)

Unknown said...

I love the coffee filter flower idea! My son (15 mos.) loves coloring, so we tried water colors but the dirty water was too interesting - he never did paint - maybe next month!

Eleni said...

Ha ha, Ruby's face is priceless! My isster and I both loved painting when we were kids, and my mum says she always dreaded it when we suggested it because she knew what a mess we'd make!

Michelle Clement said...

he he - too cute!! :) Ruby looks like she loved it - til you didn't let her eat it, of course. he he. I love reading about the adventures along the way!